Monday, April 21, 2014

Big Fish Little Pond, Or Big Pond Little Fish?

Big Fish Little Pond or Big Pond Little Fish?

As the leader of any business, you have to ask yourself this question frequently. This question applies to any business, but for now, I will focus on the Real Estate business, which I know and love. In Central Indiana, my agents are collectively the 5th most successful group of agents in terms of annual sales. They are far and away # 1 in many other categories, but for now I will focus on the common goal of any sales organization, and that is sales.

 So one could say they have it figured out. They know how to sell as evidenced by the fact that they have over 18 deals and over 3 million in sales per agent per year, this is including every licensed assistant in that average. Our agents averaged more than 100k per year in earned commissions, in a state and industry that the average agent sells 3 homes and earns a "whopping" 15k per year. So you can only guess that with 150 of these stallions in the RE/MAX Ability Plus offices we too are viewed as a very successful organization, and in return, I'm looked at as a successful leader of this organization and here locally.

 Then why would my agents go outside our local pond? Why would my staff go outside that same pond? Last of all, why would I? The answer is very simple. We, as agents, staff and as leadership, becoming bigger fish in the real estate waters of Central Indiana. Mind you, we are not the biggest "fish" today. That spot is currently held by the F. C. Tucker organization and its current owner Jim Litton. However, if you dig deeper, we are the fastest growing company reporting year over year growth in excess of 30% in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013 which means in just two years RE/MAX Ability Plus will hold the top spot in this pond!

 Why then would my agents spend their money and time to attend R4, the RE/MAX International Convention, and many other events that take them away from their businesses and families? Why would the team of staff attend these and other conventions? Why would I go to R4, return, then take two weeks off on spring break with my family only to return and pick up another bag and take off to T3 Summit, the Swanepoel's Trends Thoughts and Technology Summit?

 I will speak for myself and how I believe every agent, and staff member, feels here at RE/MAX Ability Plus. It is what we are driven to do as we accomplish more and more in the pond of Real Estate waters here in Indiana, we want more. We want to learn more. Try more. We want to do more. More sales, more support of our charities, and more interaction with the buyers and sellers of Real Estate in Central Indiana. And, who is better than us? I would argue NO ONE... my reason is that we are bringing together amazingly successful local experts and combining them with the International knowledge of RE/MAX in 97 countries.

 You might say "big deal." What's the big deal? Many offices attend their international convention, or local conventions, or maybe the NAR convention, and I would agree. What I don't see is the Broker Owners, managers, or other senior level members attending these meetings. Who knows why, only those who are in the position to decide know why they do or don't do things. Let me share why I do. I do because I become the little fish in a big pond! That's right. At T3, which was by invitation only, I went from being the # 5 most successful company in Indiana to # 187 Nationally out of 78,000. I went from the inner circle of real estate in Central Indiana, where I am involved in most of the higher level discussions, to the furthest outside ring in the national real estate picture. I mean, I was so far outside that if I didn't show up, no one would have noticed......and I love that and so does RE/MAX Ability Plus!

 Making yourself the little fish is challenging. It threatens your ego, your confidence and sometimes causes you to eat alone, because when you're the little fish no one is trying to find you.

 Go explore outside your waters! If you're the big fish, try being the little fish, and if you're the little fish, trying being the big fish. There is so much to learn in both ponds, and I guarantee to REALLY GROW you need some of both!

Bon Appetit

Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment